Green Energy Act

February 27, 2009

Healthy Environment

The Green Energy Act looks promising for Guelph and the implementation of our Community Energy Plan (CEP) – support for renewable energy, local generation, and district energy systems.  One big change is that local electrical utilities will be permitted to generate electricity.  This should assist Guelph Hydro Inc. implement parts of our CEP.

About Karen Farbridge

An unwavering change maker seeking a just, democratic and sustainable world.

View all posts by Karen Farbridge

Connect with the City of Guelph

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

5 Comments on “Green Energy Act”

  1. Mahesh Bhavnagariya Says:

    Dear Karen,
    I am living at 85 Willow Road for at least 3 years. As you know in this area, there are 4-5 apartment buildings. I have noticed that each building has only one kind of garbage bin. I feel extremely grief when I see lots of people throwing their organic waste, papers, cans, bottles etc. in the same bin.
    Is there possible to provide these building a separate recycle bins or one large recycle bin that two or three nearby building can share?

  2. Kate Sullivan Says:

    Hello Mahesh,

    The City doesn’t have jurisdiction for recycling at multi-residential buildings. Most apartment buildings have private waste haulers collect their waste.

    The Province (Ministry of Environment) does mandate recycling at apartments, but it’s the Province that enforces those regulations, not the City.

    Having said that, the City does recognize that recycling at multi-residential buildings is an issue, and a pilot project to deal with it is one of the recommendations in our Solid Waste Management Master Plan. Staff are currently working on timelines for all the recommendations in the Master Plan.

    I hope this helps,

    Kate Sullivan
    Mayor’s Office

  3. Mahesh Bhavnagariya Says:

    Dear Kate,

    Thank you very much for your response and efforts you took to make it possible that now we have all blue recycle bins at our building.



  4. Sharon Findlay Says:

    I live in a multi residential building in the North East end of Guelph, I moved in here a couple of months ago and it bothers me so much that there is no option to separate recycling, garbage and organic waste. Is there a phone number I can call to inquire about changing to a waste program that separates garbage? I Also, what can tenants in a MR building do, who would like to separate their garbage, if the management is not interested in changing the waste collection system?

  5. ksulliva Says:

    Hi Sharon,

    If you are interested in converting your building to three-stream waste collection, please call or email the City’s Solid Waste Department at 519-767-0598 or
    The Province has passed legislation requiring multi-residential buildings with a certain number of units to provide both waste and recycling (blue) options for all residents.

    Kate Sullivan
    Mayor’s Office

%d bloggers like this: