Congratulations to Hitachi Construction Truck Manufacturing Ltd. on their grand opening today.
Herewith my speaking notes at the event:
• I am thrilled to be here today!
I am pleased to welcome to Guelph Mr. Michijiro Kikawa, Chairman and Director of Hitachi Construction Machinery Co. Ltd. (parent company)
• And Mr. Eiji Yamamoto, Consul General of Japan in Toronto.
• We are pleased to host you in our City today.
• I would like to congratulate Mr. Hideo Kitawaki – Hideo and his team on this grand opening!
• Your commitment to this expansion is greatly appreciated and its impact on our community is enormous.
• There is a lot of work involved in a project of this magnitude which calls for collaboration among parties involved.
• I would like to commend the efforts of Maple Reinders for completing the building expansion in a timely manner.
• Many thanks to City of Guelph staff who played a significant role in facilitating approvals within the required timeframes.
• And many thanks to all those involved in the success of Hitachi plant and office expansion project.
• On behalf of the City of Guelph and its residents, I would like to thank Hitachi for its commitment and confidence in our City as an investment location to expand its North American operations for the production of mining trucks for sales worldwide.
• I understand that the total investment is $32 million whose sole purpose is to increase production capacity at the Guelph plant to achieve Hitachi’s goal of 30% worldwide market share for mining trucks by 2018.
• This investment by Hitachi is good news for everyone.
o It means the retention of approximately 400 highly skilled existing manufacturing jobs in Guelph with the potential to add up to 575 new jobs at the facility by 2018.
o It means more people living and working in our community, instead of commuting.
o And business help build our community through the municipal property taxes they pay and charitable donations they give.
• According to FDI Magazine, the Guelph Hitachi expansion was recognized as the top Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) project in Ontario in 2012 in terms of job creation.
• The magazine also ranked Guelph fifth in economic potential and tenth in business friendliness for a small city. It is rankings like this that help us to attract investment from companies like Hitachi.
• According to Guelph Building Services 2012 Annual Report, the Hitachi expansion was the largest major building project in the City with a building permit value of $18.1 million.
• As the Mayor, I am proud and welcome such investments in our City.
• For our City, advanced Manufacturing sector continues to be the leading employment sector in Guelph.
• It is identified in Prosperity 2020 – the City’s Economic Development Strategy – as a sector we continue to pursue investment opportunities.
• Once again, your commitment to this expansion is greatly appreciated and its impact on our community is enormous.
• Thank you very much. This is a great day for our City.