I have always wanted to see an accessible user guide to our local government. Something that could be easily used by:
- residents who want to better understand how City Hall works
- people interested in running for Council to learn more about what would be expected of them
- members of Council and City employees to assist in their orientation and serve as an ongoing resource
We consolidated all of our governance practices a few years ago and posted them on guelph.ca but it was a couple of hundred pages long – not that easy to find what you were interested in.
Next week, the Governance Commiteee will learn more about the new User Guide To Local Government along with the proposed orientation program for the next term of Council.
There is a section on:
- Council and its governance practices
- Civic Administration and how it is managed
- Community and how to get involved
We haven’t found anything quite like this so we are very excited about it.
Thanks to Dylan McMahon, our intern, who has been instrumental in getting this material onto our website as a user guide, as well as his predecessor Crystal Kaminsky and the City’s web services team.